Node Tutorial: Lightning Chess from Koala Studio
Update: Casa Node software is no longer maintained; we recommend looking at other build-your-own node projects.
Last week, Koala Studio launched its online gaming platform native to the Lightning Network. The platform has started with a simple but creative spin on the age-old game of chess.
In Lightning Chess, players can use Satoshis to wage bets, extend their play timer, or undo moves. It's an awesome proof of concept for the Lightning Network, and as soon as we heard about it, we knew we had to try it out with the Casa Extension. Here's how you can do the same.
First, head to koalastud.io and select Start to sign up for an account. The glorious thing about this is that there's no email address or personal information required for sign-up. Instead, you're issued an access token used for multi-device authentication. Once you're given your account key, make a quick back-up and select Continue. This will take you back to the homepage.
Next, you'll need to deposit Satoshis into your account. As a warning, Koala Studio charges a 1% fee, rounded down to the nearest integer, for deposits of 100 Satoshis or more. To do this with your Casa Extension, follow these easy steps:
1) Select the My Account button on the homepage.
2) Navigate to Deposits in the left-hand column.
3) Enter the amount of Satoshis you'd like to deposit, then click Deposit.
4) Click Copy Payment Request, then open up your Casa Extension.
5) If you've already got any number of channels open with other parties, you can simply choose Send Payment, paste the copied payment request code into the Payment Code field of your extension, and confirm.
If you don't have any other channels open, you'll need to open a direct channel with Koala Studio's provider using the connection code at the bottom of the Deposits screen.
Copy this code, then open your Casa Extension. Select the three dots in the upper-right corner, then click Open Channel. Enter a peer name and channel purpose, then paste the copied connection code into the Peer Connection Code field. Lastly, specify a channel amount and click Confirm Lightning Channel Opening. Once the channel opens, head to the first part of step 5.
6) Navigate back to Main Menu, select New Game, then share the game URL with someone you want to challenge. You can use the buttons above your turn timer to extend your timer, wage a bet, undo a move, propose a draw, or forfeit.
7) Once you're done and ready to withdraw your winnings, head back to the My Account page and select Withdrawals.
8) Open your Casa Extension and select Request Payment. Next, enter the amount of your withdrawal in BTC and a memo if desired. Select Generate Payment Code and copy the subsequent code.
9) In the Koala Studio interface, paste the copied code into the Use Payment Request field, and click Withdraw.
That's all there is to it! Pretty easy, right?
Now who wants to get Magnus Carlsen on board?!